Savvy travelers are looking for ways to save money at the airport so they have more to spend once they arrive at their final destination. One-way to do this is to bypass checked luggage fees and pack your necessities in your carry-on. Packing a carry-on bag, especially if you’re going away for more than a few days, can be a challenge but here are some tips for both men and women on how to make use of the limited space in a carry-on bag:
Packing pointers for women include:
- Limit yourself to one color palette and choose separates that can be easily layered. Consider basic, solid color dress that can be dressed up, or down with separates. Pack a lightweight cashmere cardigan to help transform your outfits.
- Choose fewer than three pairs of pants – a pair of jeans, black pants, and another style that you favor.
- Pack one white shirt and a stylish top. Either of these can take you from day to night depending on the accessories you pair with them.
- Speaking of accessories: jewelry doesn’t take much space in your luggage and can make a statement and make each outfit feel fresh. Also, don’t forget the visual impact a belt can make to an outfit.
- Pack less than three pair of shoes (I know, this is the tough one) :-). Choose a pair of sensible heels that can take you from day to night, a pair of flats, and a pair of sneakers.
It’s typically easier for men to pack their items into a carry-on since they can get away with a very basic “uniform.” Packing pointers for men:
- Purchase and pack wrinkle free pants and shirts. Wear your suit jacket or blazer to save room in the carry-on. Choose dark colors, as they are suitable for business dinners, plane travel, and nights out on the town.
- Layers are suitable for men as well as women when it comes to a travel wardrobe. Pack a basic pullover, collared shirt and tie, a t-shirt, and even a vest. These separates can be dressed up or down depending on the situation.
- Pack two pairs of pants: black pants or khakis can be worn in most all travel situations.
- Pack a pair of jeans for casual times and for wearing on the plane.
- Limit yourself to two pairs of shoes: a pair of athletic shoes and a pair of shoes for business gatherings.
Remember the rules as it relates to carry-on liquids and place all liquids in a plastic bag to prevent leaks onto your clothing. Choose multi-purpose grooming items to save more space in your carry on. Most importantly, verify your carry-on fits the carry-on size and weight requirements; be advised that the size and weight requirements vary by airline.