Traveling across the country has its own planning issues, but traveling outside of the country is a unique experience and one that requires thoughtful pre-planning.
Here are some of the steps you will need to consider before you make any overseas travel plans:
- You will need to apply for a passport. Keep in mind that the application and processing time could be more than a month; make sure to have your passport before purchasing overseas travel tickets. To apply, you will need to complete an application and supply documentation proving that you are a citizen of the United States. The fees for passports are currently $100.
- Visit your doctor. Vaccinations may be required before visiting certain countries. Check with the travel agent to determine which ones are necessary. Failing to get vaccinated exposes you to diseases you wouldn’t have been exposed to in the United States. You will be required to show proof of vaccinations during the boarding process.
- Have your finances in order. Make certain you have enough cash on hand or a way to access cash while you’re overseas. Purchasing travel checks is an ideal choice as they are accepted worldwide and in some cases can be replaced if lost.
- Make copies of your itinerary and travel documents and leave at home. In the event you lose your identification while overseas, having the ability to contact someone at home who can access that information could be a lifesaver.
- Check with the travel agent and the State Department for restrictions on travel to various parts of the world and for requirements relating to travel in those areas.
An overseas travel excursion will offer you memories for a lifetime. Careful planning and preparation helps assure that those memories are all favorable.